knitobsession

The musings of an obsessive knitter and stash collector

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Happiness with a dash of sorrow


I was going to burble happily to you about this skein of Geranium Twinkletoes that arrived from the US today, Then I was going to show you the small amounts of knitting I'd achieved on my current 3 socks in active progress. I was then going to tell you that I actually sold 5 items on eBay as my first ever try at selling!


Well, the pictures are here, but I have something rather different on my mind. I went out at lunch time and collected a copy of my local evening paper, the front page news was of a 15 year old girl who had died unexpectedly, she was an organ donor though, so her death had given a chance of life to 5 people. It isn't that uncommon a story, although there is a shortage of young organ donors, the kick for me was, I used to know her family, her mother had helped me when I was very ill about 5 years ago, we've since lost touch.


I can't imagine how her Mum must feel, to lose a teenage daughter in the space of 2 days, to be grieving but yet be so proud of her daughter's maturity in wanting to be a donor. I'm not sure if I really have a message, I've no children, so I've no right to tell everyone with children togive them an extra hug, 'just because' I can't tell you all to regiser as organ donors. For me, I'm going to shed a quiet tear and then try not to whine about being too hot and go on and make the most of life.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this blog entry really touches me! I think it has to be one of the worst things in life to bury a bodily child. A few months ago my daughter told me that she'll register as a donor right after she attains full age. I was terribly proud of her.

Maybe it'll be something like a comfort for the mother but it'll take time until she can realize that her daughter gave life to others ...

A big hug your SP

9:10 pm GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful gift! Bruce and I are both registered as donors. I figure if someone can get use out of something, I'm not using it anymore!

5:16 pm GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home