knitobsession

The musings of an obsessive knitter and stash collector

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

SP8 questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I love knitting with merino sock yarn, but I just tried some alpaca/merino mixed and that is even more yummy! I was surprised by how much I enjoyed knitting with cotton for my Olympic challenge. I don't mind kniting with acrylic when I want something washable. The only yarn I rarely knit with is mohair types because the fibres that come loose tend to upset my asthma and make me cough

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
My short needles have a grand box with inlay and carving, my DPN's are in a mug and my long needles in a jug, the circular needles just lurk in my knitting bag.

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
Off and on for about 30 years, I'd say intermediate, I've not done fairisle for years, and I'm really bad at following charts, but I can do lace if I concentrate, and I love knitting cables and stuff like that!

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?I have a list a Amazon UK

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Anything not flowery, flowers make me sneeze, citrus, spices, mostly the bath products I use are fruit scented.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Sadly I have, I'm a chocoholic, but I hate Hershey's chocolate, mostly I like good Belgian milk chocolate or dark chocolate, I'll try most sweets at least once!

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I crochet a little, can't spin although I wish I could, I cross stitch but haven't done for a while and I make hand made cards sometimes. Oh, and I have a plan for a patchwork throw in velvet but I haven't finished collecting the fabric.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
My PC plays MP3's, I mostly listen to audio books, but I also listen to folk music (Maddy Prior/June Tabor/Tom Paxton), new age - Wyndham Hill type music, Irish fok/rebel bands, old rock - Queen, Supertramp. I do enjoy listening to all sorts of music and will happily listen to things that are outside my current range.

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand? My favourite colour is purple, I rarely wera greens/browns, although I do have a brown/cream Noro on the go, I'm not into what I think of as 'softy' girly colours, but a clear bright pink is fine. You only have to look at all the different shades and colours of my sock wool to see that I have a broad taste in colours!

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live on my own except for the brand new kitten!

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Scarves - yes, hats, occasionally, I have a large head - 25cms so getting hats that fit is a pain, I wear gloves more than mittens and I'm far too large sized to look good in a poncho - I'd look like a tea pot

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Socks, lace and little bitty baby clothes!

13. What are you knitting right now?
Socks socks and more socks, but I have a Pacific Norh West shawl on the needles and several sweaters/jackets in various weights of yarn on the go. I'm also making the 'Learn to Knit' afghan very slowly.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Love them.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Bamboo needles feel too light for me at present, as I get more arthritic I may appreciate them more, I only have very old brittle plastic needles so I mostly use metal needles, I like sharp points, I'm gradually adding to my DPN collection, I have 2mm - 4.5mm but nothing bigger or smaller, I have circulars in 4mm and 5mm but that's about all. I like circulars and DPN's for knitting on the bus! I hate blunt tipped needles, the sharper the point the better!

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Swift on it's way from eBay - no ballwinder

17. How did you learn to knit?
From my mother as a young child and now I learn new techniques from other kntitters/books/videos etc!

18. How old is your oldest UFO?
Around 12 months old!

19. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas/Yule I was brought up to celebrate Christmas, nowadays I tend to celebrate the winter solstice.

20. Is there anything that you collect?
Arklow pottery if it's either got shamrocks/souvenir of Ireland on it, or the studio pottery from there, crystals, fancy buttons.

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I haven't found a way to get hold of Knitpicks yarn in the UK, I've had one skein of STR and like it but haven't managed to get more yet! I'd like to get hold of a good book on Orenburg shawls, I'd love to learn to design my own knitwear and haven't found anything to really enlighten me yet. I have subscriptions to Simply Knitting and Knitting, I loathe books that think that a 38 inch bust is large!

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Entrelac, starting circular shawls on DPN's!

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes, in UK sizes I'm a size 7 EEE, I only wear ankle socks as I have large calves! Give a gauge of 9 stitches and 11 rows to the inch I make my socks on 72 stitches for a cuff down sock, I get that gauge or thereabouts using sock yarn like regia on 2.5mm DPN's if that is any help!

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
I can't think in American dates - 9th July!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

there's a lot we have in common *s*

take care your SP

9:24 pm GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home